Beauty Feature: The Price of Vanity

If my lashes could talk they would say "Whaa! What have you done??". Yes, I may have cried like a baby and asked myself the same question over the last few weeks. The question I have for you makeup junkies is how far would you go in the name of beauty?


A few weeks ago I wrote about how ecstatic I was to finally have the lashes I have always dreamed of. I had the opportunity to try lash extensions for the first time - you can read about it here. Quite a dramatic difference right? I also want to point out that I did not pay to have this service done. It was complimentary. *(Please note: to protect the integrity of the stylist all names and links have been removed. If you would like to know who applied my lashes, please contact me directly.)

A little over a week after I had the lashes applied, I experienced an agonizing and rather quite disgusting eye infection in my left eye. Picture sleepy dust times 10 and gooey green - gross right? Let me just say, this is the first time in my life since wearing makeup (we're talking since junior high) that I've ever had an eye infection. 

I decided to contact, someone from Xtreme Lashes to see if this was common and if any of their clients experienced something similar. Here is part of her response: 
The infection could be caused by several things:
-mascara has gone bad
-client touched a high germ surface ie. public door handle and forgot to wash hands and by accident rubbed eyes
-makeup clogged lash follicle
-lack of sleep
-stress
-not enough thorough cleansing of area
Lashes are adhered 1mm away from lid...so never touches skin or the lash follicles...so issues are usually rare.

I have heard from my instructor that some clients try not to touch/cleanse the lashes to preserve them. We don't promote that, we encourage to wash eyes but ideally with the Xtreme Cleanser (as all Xtreme products are made to work together with the extensions).
But how the client maintains or cares for the lashes after the procedure is up to their discretion and Xtreme can't be held responsible since it's not 100% proven Xtreme was the cause of the infection.
Xtreme emphasizes to all stylists about safety for the eyes...so not to over-weigh lashes (which could cause damage). We reject clients if their eyes are deemed to be unhealthy. So if your eyes happen to be sensitive to the glue or the synthetic extensions, then on behalf of Xtreme, i apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. It's possible this procedure is not right for you. Results vary individual to individual. 
I just want to point out that I am not writing this to place blame or point fingers. However, because I gave such high recommendations I do feel that it is my duty to share my experience especially since it is an investment not only in money but in time. I believe Xtreme Lashes or the glue that was used was not the direct cause of my infection, but it definitely contributed to it. I don't believe it was a "coincidence" and did not happen 2 weeks after but rather a week later. I barely got to enjoy the "benefits".

The first few days I noticed a few lashes fall out after I had cleansed the eye area with an oil-free makeup remover (as recommended by the stylist). So, to preserve the lashes I tried to use as little pressure when cleaning the lashes which resulted in lashes not being cleaned properly creating bacteria. Thus, the gunky red eye. Oh, and it later transferred to my right eye and to my husband's eye!

I immediately decided that enough was enough and the lashes had to come out. As recommended, I used an oil-based eye remover that would make the lashes "slide right off". That was absolutely NOT the case. When I wanted them to come out they wouldn't even with some oil. It took a few days for the lash glue to loosen up and I still have a few left in. I definitely lost a lot of my natural lashes but at least my infection is gone! 

So, almost 3 weeks later and I'm left with even less lashes than before! My husband wonders if I'll ever stop being a guinea pig. Well, that's just the life of a beauty blogger right? I just want to reiterate that I am not placing blame but if I had to do it all over again I would never get lash extensions! 

Do your research and be sure recommendations and referrals are at least 2 weeks after they had the lashes put in. Right before I got my eye infection, my BFF went and had it done before she went to Mexico. She said they were wonderfully long but not very full and you couldn't really notice them (she is used to MAC #7's). She ended up putting fake lashes over top of the extensions - doesn't make sense right? At Xtreme, they are all about a "natural and seamless" look but if you can't really notice them then what's the point? I also felt they weren't as full and needed mascara to accentuate them. Because she was in humid weather and using fake lashes, the extensions fell out by the end of her week long trip.

Lesson learned? Stop obsessing over what you don't have and be happy with what you do have! As Tim Gunn would say "Make it work people!".

How far would you go for beauty? Have you ever experienced beauty gone bad? Leave your experience in the comments. The best (or worst) story will win a Makeup Junkie beauty prize pack of goodies from various brands! Contest winner will be announced on March 22nd at 12 pm!