Makeup Artist Corner


When I was starting out as a makeup artist, building my kit was not an easy task. I spent years figuring out what products work and what don't. Even now I'm still weeding out products but I have a much clearer picture of what products are essential for my line of work. A big mistake that most make artists make in the beginning is buying too much product and never using the majority of them (I got duped so many times!). Buy multi-use products or colours that can be blended for different skin tones - this way you won't have to lug around so much. There are different areas of makeup to go into and some require different products than others. For example, if you do mostly bridal work you probably won't need a Kryolan Face Palette used mostly for theater makeup. If you have the opportunity to assist a key makeup artist, this is the perfect chance to see what he/she carries in their kit for that particular job. Another great resource that I like to visit often is a website called Madenyc.com - In My Kit. If you're just starting out or in need of updating your kit, this site has a list of the top products that top makeup artists use. Also, stay tuned for On Makeup Magazine (The Powder Group) launching next month, which will have a section called Kit Focus!


If you live in the Miami area or will be heading out that way (lucky you!), don't forget to buy tickets to the first ever Makeup Show in Miami! Brought to you by The Powder Group, the makeup trade shows are THE event to be at and where all the hottest brands and artists in the industry come together. If you haven't been to any of the trade shows, it is a must - I guarantee you'll come away with some great products, meet some amazing people, and learn a thing or two to add to your list of skills! Here are the details:

When: February 24 and 25
Where: The Miami Convention Center
Time: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
Tickets: Click here for info

If anyone is going I'd love to hear all about it! And if you have any tips on building your kit feel free to leave a comment and share!