Beauty Review: The Return Of The Lipstick

I remember being 15 and buying my first non-drugbrand lipstick from MAC in Paramount. It was a big deal; almost a rite of passage. Every time I carefully applied my lipstick I felt like a grown up; like a real woman. There's just something sensual and sexy about applying lipstick. By the end of the '90's, Jennifer Lopez's nude glossy lips were all the rage. My little tubes of lipsticks were soon replaced by the shiny slickness of a lip gloss. The rich colour and creamy texture women once loved were given the boot for a sheer shimmery (sometimes goopy) wash of colour.

Over the years the formulations of lip products have evolved to suit every woman's wants and needs. Now glosses come in every texture, colour, and finish. The lipstick has fought hard to stay in the game by also changing the formulations to compete with the gloss. With Fall approaching, beauty is now returning to a more polished and glamourous look. Lips are more defined and have a sophisticated semi-matte finish. Celebrities like Gwen Stefani, Dita Von Teese, and Christina Aguilara have helped women everywhere welcome the return of 1940's glam. Designers like Proenza Schouler, Diane Von Furstenburg, Gucci, and Valentino to name a few have put the gloss to rest and have coloured the model's lips in shades of red, bordeaux, wine, and burgundy.


I recently tried Estee Lauder's new line of Signature Lipsticks and I absolutely adore them! The golded fluted lipstick case has been updated to a more sleeker and slimmer look. It screams luxurious and I feel kinda special every time I pull it out in public. The colour is rich, creamy and moisturizing and smells of fig and vanilla - mmm. My favourite of the bunch so far is Rich Berry, Burnished Bronze, and Rich Red. The Signature Lipstick is available in 24 gorgeous shades and I just can't wait to get my hands on the rest of them! They won't be available until October so be on the look out! You don't have to get rid of your glosses this Fall but be sure to make some room for lipsticks because they're here to stay. Happy shopping!